CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2023-2024 - MASTER'S IN HUMAN RIGHTS AND MIGRATION STUDIES
Ημερομηνία Λήξης Προκήρυξης: 2023-09-20
DEPARTMENT OF BALKAN, SLAVIC AND ORIENTAL STUDIES
DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL AND EUROPEAN STUDIES
MASTER’S DEGREE IN HUMAN RIGHTS AND MIGRATION STUDIES
The Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies and the Department of International and European Studies invite applications for its Postgraduate Programme leading to a Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Migration Studies.
The aim of this course is to provide a high-quality educational opportunity for students interested in these two related disciplines in preparation for a career in fields such as human rights monitoring and implementation as well as services and management of regular and irregular migration. Prospective employers include governments, international governmental and nongovernmental organizations, specialized agencies, private enterprises, charitable institutions, the European Union, local authorities, the security services, etc. People already employed in these fields will also benefit from attending this course in terms of knowledge as well as opportunities for professional advancement. Finally, the course will prove indispensible to those contemplating a career change or wish to pursue a PhD.
The course consists of three semesters, two of which require class attendance with physical presence, while the third is dedicated to the writing of a dissertation. During the third semester students are not required to reside in Thessaloniki.
The language of instruction is English.
Subjects taught are as follows:
- International Protection of Human Rights
- Human Rights Law: A Comparative Approach
- The Anthropology of Migration
- Migration and World History
- The Economics of Migration
- International Development and the Global South
- EU Migration, Asylum and Refugee Policies
- Research Methods in Social Sciences
- Comparative issues in Gender and Cultural Diversity
- World Conflict, Forced Migration and Humanitarian Law
All subjects are mandatory.
Faculty members include, Dr Theodosios Karvounarakis, Dr Christos Nikas, Dr Konstantinos Zafiropoulos, Dr Despoina Anagnostopoulou, Dr Foteini Tsimpiridou, Dr Dimitrios Kirkilis, Dr Konstantinos Tsitselikis, Dr Nikolaos Zaikos, Dr Paraskevi Naskou-Perraki. Information regarding the instructors can be found at the University website (https://www.uom.gr).
Tuition fees: 3600 € payable in four installments.
Accommodation is not provided but students can access the program’s website for recommendations. Thessaloniki is a lively seaside city with more than 100,000 students. It is full of history and local color with many recreational opportunities. Meals can be purchased at moderate prices in the school cafeteria.
Applicants must be University graduates and have a very good knowledge of the English language certified by Cambridge or Michigan Proficiency or English speaking university degree or by a minimum TOEFL score of 79 (Computer based) or 213 (Internet based) or by a minimum IELTS score of 6.5. Other language certificates might be considered based on the Greek legislation.
Applications for the Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Migration Studies for the Academic year 2023-2024 should be submitted online. Therefore, applicants are kindly requested to:
- Submit their application only via email (including all required documents in attachment) to the email address: email@example.com
- Add the following text in the subject of their email, modifying accordingly: “Name and Surname – Application 2023-2024”
- Attach the following documents, along with their application form, in the same email:
- a thoroughly completed application form, available for download at https://www.uom.gr/hurmis/entypa
- certified academic transcripts of university degree translated into English or Greek where appropriate
- proof of proficiency in English
- two letters of reference (at least one related to your previous Degree)
- proof of ID (or passport)
- a short CV
- Additional qualifications, such as job experience or additional languages and degrees, although not required, will be taken into consideration.
Following the initial consideration and evaluation of the received applications, online interviews will be conducted within a reasonable period of time. Applicants are advised to apply early to ensure a place in the Program.
Once finally admitted, applicants with undergraduate degrees NOT awarded by Greek Universities will also need to have their degrees recognized by the Greek authorities (Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Center “DOATAP”). Please visit the DOATAP website (http://www.doatap.gr/en/) for detailed information.
Application deadline is the 20th of September 2023. Applicants from non-EU countries may need a student visa. Please inquire at the Greek consular authorities and apply early enough for the completion of this process prior to the beginning of classes.
Course begins October 9, 2023.
Find here the call for applications 2023-24
Download here the application form
For further information, please contact the Postgraduate Secretary via:
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone at: (+30)2310891507 every Tuesday and Thursday from 3pm to 5pm (EEST).
You may also visit the Program’s websites: https://www.uom.gr/hurmis and https://hurmis.uom.gr/
The Program Director
Dr Theodosios Karvounarakis