Administrative Bodies of the University
The Administrative Bodies of the University
The Administrative Bodies of the University are:
a) The Senate,
b) The Rector’s Council,
c) The Rector,
d) The Vice Rectors,
1. The Senate consists of:
a) The Rector
b) The Vice Rectors
c) The Deans of the Schools
d) The Presidents of the Departments
e) Student representatives, a minimum of one (1) representative from the category of undergraduate and one (1) from all the categories of postgraduate students and the PhD candidates, if any.
f) Three (3) Representatives, one (1) per category from the members of Special Teaching Staff, Laboratory Staff and Special Technical Laboratory Staff of the University.
g) (1) one representative of the administrative personnel of the university.
The Senate shall be formed and shall operate legally even if representatives of students, members of Special Teaching Staff, Laboratory Staff and Special Technical Laboratory Staff and administrative personnel have not been elected.
2. The Senate has the following functions and any other provided for in the provisions of Law 4485/2017 (A’ 114), of the Organization and the Rules of Procedure of the university, as well as the other provisions of the legislation:
a) establishes a strategy, develops and specifies the necessary actions for the development of the university at local, national, European and international level. It helps shape its special character in the context of its mission, acting on the recommendation of the Rector’s Council,
b) determines the specific guidelines for the academic strategy and development of the university, based on which the Rector’s Council prepares draft agreements of programmatic planning. The Senate approves these drafts and monitors and controls the implementation of agreements on an annual basis,
c) has the overall supervision of the operation of the University,
d) gives its assent to the Rector for the allocation of the total appropriations to educational, research and other activities of the University,
(e) submits proposals to the Rector for the cooperation of the University with educational or cultural institutes, scientific and social bodies in Greece or abroad,
(f) approves the Rules of Procedure of the University and the amendments thereto, in accordance with Article 8,
(g) approves the regular annual budget of the University and the public investment program, the amendments and the final financial report, acting on the recommendation of the Rector’s Council,
(h) approves the annual review of activities and the general functioning of the University,
(i) supervises the Management Company and Property Development of the University and selects and/or ceases the duties of the members of the Management Board and the Executive Director,
(j) delivers its opinion on the merger, segmentation, renaming, removal, and change of location of the Main Campus of the University, as well as for the establishment, termination, merger, segmentation, renaming and change of the location of a School or Department of the University,
(k) decides on the establishment of Sectors and on subsequent changes to them,
(l) outlines the educational and research policy of the University, ensuring the continuous improvement of their quality, and establishes the Quality Assurance Unit.
m) approves, after it is proposed by the Deanery and decided upon by the Departmental meeting, the first established and up-to-date records of internal and external members maintained for the procedures for the selection, development, termination and renewal of the faculty members,
n) establishes the electoral bodies for the procedures for electing, promotion, appointment and renewal of the term of office of the faculty of the University’s Departments with no overall majority, upon recommendation by the Temporary Departmental Assembly,
(o) adopts the Study Regulation of the first, second and third cycle of studies,
(p) decides on the establishment of a Center for Training and Lifelong Learning, approves its Studies Regulations. It appoints the Director of the Center as recommended by the President, after the Board of the Center have expressed their opinion. It approves the annual budget and assessment of the Center, and draws up a four-year development plan,
q) approves the content of all programs of study of the University,
r) decides on the establishment of postgraduate programs, acting on the recommendation of the Assembly of the Department and decides on any matter of academic, administrative, organizational and financial nature, according to what the law dictares regarding postgraduate programs,
s) decides on the establishment and organization of programs for the second and third cycle of study in cooperation with other Universities and research centers of Article 13A of Law 4310/2014 (A’ 258), including research centers of the Academy of Athens and the Biomedical Research Foundation of Academy of Athens,
(k) decides, on the recommendation of the Assembly of the Department concerned, to organize the second and third cycle study programs in cooperation with foreign Institutes and research centers recognized as equivalent, in accordance with Article 43;
(u) decides on the organization, in whole or in part, of first cycle programs of study in a foreign language, exclusively for citizens from countries outside the EU, in cooperation with the International Hellenic University (IHU) acting on the recommendation of the Assembly of the relevant Department or of the Deanship concerned with the assent of the involved Departments,
(v) decides on the academic calendar including the examination periods,
(w) decides on the temporary closure of the University’s function or its educational work for exceptional reasons, such as safety reasons and natural disasters, and for the functioning of the colleges during the holiday season,
(x) adopts measures taken by the Rector to deal with urgent matters,
y) recommends to the Minister of Education and Religious Affairs the creation of new posts for faculty, following a proposal by the Deanships of the respective Schools submitted after a recommendation by the Assemblies of the Departments concerned. It also allocates to the Departments the total number of faculty which were approved,
z) recommends to the Minister of Education and Religious Affairs the creation of new seats for Special Teaching Staff, Laboratory Staff and Special Technical Laboratory Staff, following a proposal by Deanships of the respective Schools submitted after a recommendation by the Assemblies of the Departments concerned. It also allocates and reallocates to the Departments or Schools the total number of the posts which were approved,
aa) recommends to the Minister of Education and Religious Affairs the creation of new seats for administrative personnel, after a recommendation by the Rector
(bb) respectively distributes to the Departments the seats with the corresponding credits of the teaching and learning staff referred to in Article 5 of the PD. 407/1980 (A’ 112) and article 19 of Law 1404/1983 (A 173),
cc) appoints, when there are no applications for such seats, a Dean of a School or Chair of the Department, coming from the relevant School or Department concerned, respectively.
dd) establishes committees to study or deal with matters falling within its remit, upon recommendation of the Rector,
ee) delegates the exercise of specific powers to the Rector’s Council over a period of time, and does so in a reasoned decision published in the Official Gazette, by a three-fourths majority (3/4) of all its members,
ff) allocates the budgetary appropriations to the educational, research and other activities of the University under the respective program planning agreement and the recommendation of the Rector,
gg) awards the titles of Honorary Doctorate, Emeritus and Honorary Professor, after a recommendation by the Assembly of the relevant Department,
hh) takes measures to ensure that access is provided to Persons with Disabilities or special educational needs to the premises of the University, as well as to teaching and the proposed textbooks of the three cycles of study,
ii) decides, upon recommendation by the Deanship, about joint courses that will be organized among the Departments of the same or different Schools,
jj) exercises any powers not conferred by law specifically to other bodies of the University.
1. The Rector’s Council consists of:
a) The Rector
b) The Vice Rectors,
c) The representative of the students, who is selected by and is one of the elected students who participate in the Senate
d) The representative of the administrative personnel who participates in the Senate
The Rector’s Council is constituted and operates legally even if the students’ or administrative personnel’s representative is not elected. In the case of a tied vote, the opinion that the Rector is in favor of takes precedence.
2. The Rector’s Council has the following functions and any other provided for in the provisions of the present Law, of the Constitution and the Rules of Procedure of the University. It:
a) recommends to the Senate a strategy for the development of the University at local, national, European and international level and for shaping its special character in the context of its mission
b) establishes the draft programming agreements, on the basis of which the Senate sets guidelines for the development of the University,
c) establishes and reforms the annual regular financial budget and the final financial statement of the University, as well as those of the public investment program, submits them for approval to the Senate and supervises the implementation of the relevant decisions of the Senate. The budget allocates funding to the University’s educational, research and other activities under the respective program planning agreement,
d) recommends to the Rector the draft of the University's and Rules of Procedure, which shall be submitted to the Senate for approval,
e) recommends to the Senate the establishment of committees that will study or implement issues falling within its remit,
f) is responsible for observing the laws, of the Constitution and the Rules of Procedure,
g) ensures the organization of the administrative services of the University and assigns the administrative personnel therein,
h) recommends to the Senate the allocation and reallocation of the Teaching Staff’s seats in the Departments,
i) carries out the specific responsibilities assigned to it, for a specific time, by reasoned decision of the Senate.
3. The decisions of the Rector’s Council shall be notified within one (1) month of their receipt by the Senate and shall be posted on the website of the University concerned.
According to the Senate’s Decision No. 128/6.9.2018 (B’ 4139) the Rector’s Council of the University of Macedonia was assigned to exercise, for the academic year 2018-2019, the following competences relating to:
1. The planning process, award and enforcement of all public procurements, investigations, procurements and services, as well as the authorization and fulfillment of the corresponding expenditure, according to the applicable provisions for budgets up to €300.000,00 excluding VAT.
2. Τhe process of contract conclusion for letting immovable properties and disposing of fixed equipment or recycling equipment.
3. The process of contract conclusion for property leasing with maximum monthly lease up to €1.000,00, including all legal charges, as well as authorizing and fulfilling the relevant expenditure.
4. The approval of expenditures of any type, in accordance with the provisions in force, either from the regular budget or from the Public Investment Programme up to €20.000,00, excluding VAT.
5. The authorizing of expenditures which are in the category of fixed costs (electricity, telecommunication services, gas, water supply etc.)
6. The approval of the participation of University representatives and the payment of the legal compensation for Summits, National, European or International Organization in which the University is a member, as well as the renewal of the relevant subscriptions.
7. Taking the relevant decision for the organization of events – conferences at the University during the national or other celebrations, as well as the organization of seminars aimed at fulfilling a wider cultural, social and development policy either independently or in cooperation with other parties.
8. Taking the relevant decision for the examination and approval of suggestions / proposals / requests for the organization / co-organization of scientific conferences, inside or outside the University of Macedonia, and the approval of the requested funding from the University's regular budget appropriations.
9. Taking the relevant decision to temporarily suspend the University’s overall or educational function for exceptional reasons, such as safety reasons and natural disasters, and for the functioning of the colleges during the holiday season,
10. The approval of measures taken by the Rector to deal with urgent matters,
11. The approval of the academic calendar including the examination periods.
12. Taking the decision regarding student welfare issues.
13. Taking measures to ensure to students with disabilities and / or special educational needs access to the premises of the University, to teaching and the proposed textbooks of the three cycles of study,
The Rector has the following functions and any other provided for in the provisions of Law 4485/2017 (A’ 114), of the Organization and the Rules of Procedure of the University, as well as the other provisions of the legislation:
a) is the head of the University, has the responsibility for the proper functioning of its services, authorizes the expenditures of the University and ensures the cooperation of the bodies of the University, the Teaching Staff and the students,
b) represents the University in judicial and extra-judicial matters
c) convenes the Senate and the Rector’s Council, sets the agenda, presides over their procedures and ensures the execution of their decisions, appoints the rapporteur on the issues to be discussed in the above-mentioned Senate bodies or the relevant Vice-Rector respectively, and proposes matters for which no other rapporteur has been appointed,
d) attends the meetings of all colleges of the University without the right to vote,
e) convenes any collegial body of the University when it illegally fails to make decisions and presides over its procedures without the right to vote,
f) prepares and reformulates the annual report on the activities and the general functioning of the University, and submits it to the Senate for approval,
g) announces, upon recommendation by the Assembly of the Department and on the basis of approved appropriations, the seats of the Teaching Staff, also conducting the relevant legality check,
h) by his/her decision, which is published in the Government Gazette, sets out the order in which the Vice Rectors shall replace him/her if he/she is absent or temporarily unable to carry out his/her duties and after the approval of the Senate, the area of responsibility and each competences of every Vice Rector,
i) issues the acts of appointment, administration changes and holidays of University’s staff, as well as the declaratory administrative decision of an election without result or a negative assessment,
j) defines the person responsible for the information system of the University which supports the assessment procedures for the Teaching Staff.
k) delegates the right to sign documents to the Heads of Services of the University,
l) requests information and documentation from any administration of the University for each case concerning the University,
m) takes specific measures to deal with urgent matters where the competent administrative bodies of the University are unable to function and make decisions,
n) is responsible for the security and safety of the University's staff and property.
The Vice Rectors
a) The Vice Rector of Finance, Planning and Development
b) The Vice Rector of Administrative, Academic and Student Affairs, who is also in charge of the administrative personnel of the University
c) The Vice Rector of Research and Life Long Learning
According to the Government Gazette 4185/2018 (Vol. B’) the areas of responsibility and the competences of the Vice Rectors of the University of Macedonia and the order of substitution of the Rector of the University are as follows:
i) Mrs Evgenia Alexandropoulou daughter of Konstantinos, first degree Professor of the Department of Applied Informatics, Vice Rector of Finance, Planning and Development, is entitled with the competences relevant to:
1. making recommendations concerning issues relevant to her competences in the Rector’s Council
2. issuing the pay sheets of the entire University personnel.
3. issuing remuneration cuts acts for the entire personnel of the University.
4. signing documents which are submitted online in the information systems which are relevant to her area of responsibility.
5. signing contracts for the recruitment of fixed-term private law personnel.
6. submitting application of liquidator’s particulars for payments through Single Payment Authority
7. concluding contracts, as the representative of the University, concerning the material and equipment supply and contracts of letting and leasing property.
8. issuing acts for setting up committees for letting and leasing property tenders.
9. issuing any kind to tender for the supply, letting and leasing of immovable property.
10. issuing and signing checks in respect of: i. the statement of the current account cash management of the University 26052 and ii. amounts up to EUR 880,41 by herself and in cooperation with the Head of the Directorate of Financial Management for amounts above EUR 880,41.
11. signing the contracts of the University which are concluded by the Directorate of Financial Management for procurements and services of the Regular Budget and the Public Investment Budget.
12. signing Declarations and Public Invitations to tender (summary, open, international, selective, auctioning) for procurements, services and letting/leasing of immovable property.
13. clearing all expenditures and signing the payment orders, prepayments and imprest account charged to the Regular Budget and the Public Investment Budget appropriations, whatever is the amount, with the Head of Financial Management and the Head of the Accounting.
14. signing covering letters to the press, for the publication of contract notice, tenders, technical projects and studies.
15. signing documentation announcing to the interested parties the award of tenders in execution of decisions of the competent bodies.
16. signing commitment and non-commitment decisions, with the Head of the Directorate of Financial Management.
17. signing summaries and award decisions and all the decisions for the intermediate stages of the competitions.
18. signing promissory notes related to the regular Budget and the Public Investment Budget, with the Head of Directorate of the Financial Management and the Head of the Accounting.
19. concluding contracts, as the representative of the University, relating to the conducting of technical projects, studies and related services, leases and rentals.
20. issuing any kind of announcements- summaries for the conduction of technical projects, micro projects, studies and related services.
21. dealing with issues relating to the monitoring of technical projects carried out at the University, the supervision of the adequacy and proper operation of the infrastructure, as well as requirements for maintenance and repairs, and the supervision over the quality control of the technical projects and compliance with the relevant legislation.
22. issuing decisions on the recommendations of the Directorate of Technical Projects relating to operational matters of the premises - infrastructure, technical projects, studies, technical specifications and related services.
23. dealing with issues relating to the design and planning of technical, financial and social infrastructure of the University.
24. dealing with issues relating to land and buildings development and planning of the University and the supervision of technical services of the University.
25. dealing with issues relating to the design, implementation and operation of the web page of the University.
26. dealing with issues relating to the organization and operation of the IT, telecommunication and network services with regard to the subject of these services, except for matters relating to the administrative and academic staff.
ii) Mr Dimitris Kyrkilis, son of Panagiotis, first degree Professor of the Department of Balkan, Slavik and Oriental Studies, Vice Rector of Administrative, Academic and Student Affairs, is entitled with the competences relevant to:
1. Submitting proposals regarding the issues relevant to his competences in the Rector’s Council
2. Monitoring the organization and proper functioning of the Administrative Services and the Academic Units of the University of Macedonia.
3. Monitoring staff regulations of the Administrative Personnel and the Special categories of Teaching and Laboratory Staff of the University, except for the disciplinary matters.
4. Overseeing the undergraduate and postgraduate studies, as well as the short-cycle study programmes.
5. Handling issues related to the proposed academic textbooks of the Academic Departments.
6. Handling issues related to the organization and functioning of the Academic Units.
7. Submitting proposals concerning the organization of the administrative services of the University, the education and training of administrative personnel to the competent bodies for the Constitution and its Rules of Procedure.
8. Reaching decisions granting educational leave and general mobility authorizations of all categories of personnel of the University, as well as travelling expenses of the above for academic and research purposes, implementing decisions of the competent bodies.
9. Issuing and signing acts related to the grant of educational leave to the Professors and Lecturers of the University, for educational purposes, in order to participate in conferences/seminars/lectures in the framework of University exchanges, and seminar and lecture presentation in other Universities and Institutions.
10. Granting permissions to the academic staff to hold a second seat and provide services in the public sector, international organizations etc.
11. Signing certificates for changes in the administrative status of the teaching staff and temporary teaching staff.
12. Signing the acts of recruitment and the contracts of temporary teaching staff.
13. Suggesting and/or promoting issues relevant to defining Professors and Lecturers in committees of HELLENIC NARIC, the Public Services, Legal Person under Public Law and Organizations.
14. Signing copies of bachelor degrees, master degrees and PhD degrees, certificates, letter copies, which are issued for any use in foreign authorities as well as signing diploma supplements.
15. Issues concerning student registration and graduate placement exams, student transfers as well as student and personnel exchanges with foreign Universities.
16. Student affairs issues which are related to boarding, housing, health care, Scholarships, Awards, student transportation for educational visits, enforcing the relevant decision taken by the competent bodies.
17. Supervising and coordinating actions for student support and counseling, supervising the counseling units of the University, as well as matters concerning the Student’s Advocate and special student groups.
18. Promoting matters related to European programs, such as the Erasmus+ of which he is designated as Academic Responsible.
19. Signing certificates relevant to the mobility of Professors, Lecturers and students abroad, within the framework of the agreements with foreign Universities.
20. The operation of the Quality Assurance Unit (MODIP), the recommendation to the competent bodies matters related to quality assurance and promotion of the evaluation of the academic units, structures and administrative operations and procedures of the University.
21. The issues related to the supervision of the internal affairs procedures and ex-ante controls, ethics and academic freedom.
22. The operation of the Office of Student Welfare and the Directorate of Academic Affairs.
23. Matters related to the planning and the supervision of actions for the University related to the Internship, Career Services, Innovation and Entrepreneurship).
24. Matters relevant to the structures and procedures for the implementation of publishing activities of the University in the field of University Textbooks.
25. Issuing and signing acts and documentation concerning the approval, publication and distribution of the textbooks and notes.
26. The operation of the halls of residence of University of Macedonia in Kalamaria.
27. The presidency of the Center of Education and Life Long Learning (CELL) of the University of Macedonia with the competences which are apply in Article 48 par. 6 of Law 4485/2017 (A’114).
28. Publishing the magazine “University of Macedonia News”
iii) Mr. Dimitrios Chandrakis, son of Aimilios, Professor, first degree Professor of the Department of Music Science and Art, is designated as Vice Rector of Research and Life Long Learning and he is entitled with the competences relevant to:
1. Proposing on issues relevant to his competences in the Rector’s Council.
2. Signing recruitment acts and the contracts of the University’s scholarships.
3. The presidency of the Research and Management Committee of the Special Account for Research Grants, with the powers specified in articles 55 and 87 of Law 4485/2017 (A '114).
4. The matters related to the planning, programming and the founding of national, European and international Programmes.
5. The matters relevant to devising the research strategy and promoting the enhancement of structures and infrastructures for the development of research, innovation, technical expertise and entrepreneurship.
6. The matters related to sustainable development, upgrading the energy efficiency of University buildings and infrastructure.
7. The matters related to the cultural, social, environmental and sporting activities of all members of the academic community. The powers conferred on the Vice-Rectors shall be exercised by them only. They will be exercised by the Rector only in case they are temporarily absent or unavailable, for any reason, without this constituting a parallel exercise of powers.
In case that the Rector of University of Macedonia is temporarily absent or unavailable to exercise his/her functions, he is represented in line, by the Vice Rector of Administrative, Academic and Student Affairs; if he/she is absent or unavailable, by the Vice Rector of Finance, Planning and Development and if he/she is absent or unavailable by the Vice Rector of Research and Life Long Learning.