University Research Institute
The University Research Institute of Applied Economics and Social Sciences was established pursuant to the Presidential Decree52/8.3.1996, Government Gazette 46 Vol. A. The following four (4) Departments of the University of Macedonia participate: Department of Economics, Department of Business Administration, Department of Accounting and Finance, Department of International and European Studies, as well as the Municipality of Kalamaria and the Association of Insurance Agents of Northern Greece.
According to its founding Presidential Decree, the Institute aims to: a) adopt and develop research programs concerning the economic and social structures and developments, as well as the cultural traditions and particular features of the Greek people in comparison with the peoples of the European Union and the Balkan Peninsula; b) organise and deliver scientific seminars, conferences and workshops on economic, social and political considerations and data related to Greek people, the people of the European Union and the Balkan countries; and (c) award titles respectively.
The Institutes’ action is considered particularly important as it aims to strengthen the University's connection with the Greek society, economy, business and production, but also to substantially enhance the economic cooperation of EU countries. This is reflected in research activities and programs conducted by the University Research Institute, which are presented below.
I. Research Structures
There are two research structures within the University Research Institute that promote applied research either through the Institutes’ own financial resources or with external funding. In 2007, the University Research Institute set up the Public Opinion and Market Research Unit and the Price and Competitiveness Observatory with the aim of exploiting the opportunities of collecting data related to political, social and economic nature by research and teaching staff members of the University of Macedonia for the benefit of academic research. These two structures are headed by research and teaching staff members of the University and are managed by the Board of the University Research Institute.
a. Public Opinion and Market Research Unit
The Public Opinion and Market Research Unit was established with the aim of systematically gathering primary material and enhancing the University-produced applied research in the scientific fields investigated by the University Departments. Depending on collaboration types, research results are often cited in the press and media, while they are offered for further academic, political and social analysis. Public Opinion and Market Research Unit (http://www.poru.eu/undertakes quantitative and qualitative public opinion surveys. In particular, it undertakes:
a) Telephone Interviews, the Unit has a fully equipped telephone research laboratory where all research processes are supervised by specialized scientific and technical staff.
b) Postal surveys, in cases where the subject of the survey or the characteristics of the sample members require the sending of questionnaires.
c) Internet surveys, The survey is carried out by e-mail and is fulfilled by completing structured questionnaires on an internet site that is properly designed and supervised by the Unit.
d) Focus groups, groups of respondents submit their views on the subject under investigation through the guidance of an experienced Unit Coordinator.
e) In-depth interviews, selected respondents participate and submit their views to a trained Unit researcher, in order to spontaneously record individual opinions and attitudes and investigate the causes of specific individual behaviours.
Since its first operation, the Public Opinion and Market Research Unit has carried out more than 160 surveys on behalf of various private and public bodies, academic researchers and national or foreign organizations.
The first summer school was organised in July 2018 under the title: “1st Thessaloniki Summer School in Research and Computational Methods”.
b. Price and Competitiveness Observatory
The Price Observatory aims to collect data on the prices of commodities and services comprising the “bundle” to systematically monitor the evolution of consumer purchasing power over time in the area of Thessaloniki, and to conducti consumer confidence surveys twice a year in the area of Thessaloniki. Up to now, the Unit has conducted 8 consumer confidence surveys and 2 typical residential price surveys in Thessaloniki.
II. Apart from the research activity of the above two research structures, the University Research Institute has shown a rich work in promoting research, conducting research projects, organizing conferences and workshops, implementing educational programs as well as publishing studies. Examples include the following:
a. Research programs
- “Tobacco Economics in the GCC Countries”, sponsored by Gulf Health Council of Gulf Cooperation Council, 2018 – 2019.
- "Corruption and Tax Evasion in Economies with Public and Private Education", sponsored by Ioannis S. Latsi Charitable Foundation,2010
- "The Impact of TIF on the Economy of the City", sponsored by the Exhibition Research Institute, 2008 - 2009.
- "Environmental Education and Development of Educational Material at All Educational Levels, Community Initiative Program", sponsored by INTERREG III Community Initiative funds, 2006 - 2008.
- "Hellenic- Bulgarian University initiative for the training of businessmen and business executives based in Bulgaria in International Accounting Standards and Modern Accounting Developments", sponsored by INTERREG III Community Initiative funds, 2006 -2008.
- "A life-event-oriented framework and platform for one-stop-governmentFP6-2004-IST-4-026965", sponsored by the European Union, 2006 - 2009.
- The University Research Institute has undertaken the financial management of the following conferences:
a) The annual conference "International Conference in Applied Theory, Macro and Empirical Finance (AMEF)" which took place in 2016, 2017 and 2018 and was organized by the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
(b) The “Annual Meeting of the Association of Southern European Economic Theorists” held in 2016 by the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
(c) Since 2014 it has been the financial manager of the annual conference "International PhD Meeting of Thessaloniki in Economics" held every summer by PhD candidates of the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
- Since 2015, the University Research Institute has supported the financial management of 11 conferences organized by the University of Macedonia on the scientific fields of its Departments.
- On November 11 2013 in collaboration with the Hellenic Institute of Insurance Studies and the Professional Chamber of Thessaloniki, it organised an event to celebrate Private Insurance Day.
- It organized the 2nd Panhellenic Conference of Insurance Agents on:"Contemporary Trends in the Institution of Insurance Agent" on November 19, 2005 at the University of Macedonia.
- In co-operation with the Hellenic Union of Consumer Protection, it organized the 2nd Conference of Consumer Protection Association, on the subject:"Private Insurance and Consumer Protection", April 8-10 2005 at the University of Macedonia.
- It organized the 1st Panhellenic Conference of Insurance Agents on:"Contemporary Problems of Insurance Agent Activities" on November 19, 2005 at the University of Macedonia.
c. Education - Training Programs
- From 1998 to 2008, the University Research Institute has carried out 11 Annual Insurance Programs with the aim of training employees in the insurance market.
- During the period 2001-2003 it conducted 3 Annual Banking Programs with the aim of training Credit Institution executives.
- In the academic year 1999-2000, it carried out an annual program for Postbank employees.
- In 2003, it organised an Annual Program for the training of local authorities employees.
- During the period 2004-2005, 2 Neuropsychology programs were implemented.
- From 2002 to 2011, it conducted 23 two-month Brokerage Training Programs to prepare brokers for the certification exams of insurance advisors, agents, coordinators and insurance brokers. During the period 2004-2007 the program was carried out simultaneously in Thessaloniki and Larisa through the method of virtual classroom.
- From 2002 to 2011 the University Research Institute, in collaboration with the Technical Committee for Education and Brokers Examinations of the Ministry of Development, conducted 37 examinations in Northern Greece for a. private insurance brokers, licenses for the profession of insurance consultant, insurance agent, insurance coordinator and insurance broker; b. for certification of credit institution officials; and c. for the certification of insurance officials.
d. Workshops- Seminars
- The University Research Institute undertook the financial management of the “4th Short Course Dynamic Programming – Theory, Computation and Empirical Applications” held in July 2016 by the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
- It undertook the financial management of the “3rd Short Course in Panel Data Methods” held in June 2015 by the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
- It undertook the financial management of the “2nd Short Course in Panel Data Analysis” held in June 2014 by the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
- It also undertook the financial management of the “1st Short Course in Empirical Methods in Economic Growth ”held in July 2013 by the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia.
- In collaboration with the Association of Insurance Agents of Northern Greece, it organized the workshop on:"The Adaptation of Greek Law to the Directive on Insurance Mediation" on November 25, 2006 at the University of Macedonia.
- It organized Insurance and Accounting Seminars for Lawyers in 2004 and 2005 at the University of Macedonia.
- It organized the workshop on:"Insurance Career" on November 5, 2002 at the University of Macedonia.
- In collaboration with Alpha Bank it organized the workshop on:"Banking Practice and Banking Products" in November 2002 at the War Museum of Thessaloniki.
- The University Research Institute cooperated with the University of Macedonia's Commission for the Promotion of Greek Language and Culture to implement summer Greek language programs for teachers in 2001 and 2002.
e. The University Research Institute has published or contributed to the publication of the following editions:
e1 Working Papers:
- The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy - Shigeyoshi Miyagawa and Yohji Morita.
- State Firms, Money and “Softness” in the Transition Economies - Gerasimos T. Soldatos.
- Ethnic Identity and Political Behaviour - Nikos Marantzidis and Giorgos Mavrommatis.
- Intangible Shares - Eleftherios G. Skalidis.
- Formation of Company Anticrisis Management System - Valentin N. Goncharov, Vladimir V. Tyshchenko, Andriy A. Bakulin.
- Political Development of Ucraine for the Past Decade (abridged) - Valentin N. Goncharov
- Transport and Modern World - Alexander L Golubenko.
e2 Financial contribution to the following publications:
- Approximately by 50% for the translation and publication of Robert M. Solow's book, "Growth Theory", University of Macedonia Press, 2007.
- English edition of the Proceedings of the International Conference entitled:“Slavic Studies after the last EU-enlargement: Challenges and Prospects', of the Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies, held at our University from September 29 to October 1, 2006.
The Commission's Activities for the Promotion of the Greek Language and Culture (1994 - 2004).