The History of the University of Macedonia
The University of Macedonia is the second and “youngest” University of the city of Thessaloniki and it specializes in economic and social sciences. It was founded by the Greek State under the Presidential Decree 147/10-4-1990. In the past it was widely known as Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki which was founded in 1948 and started its first operation during the academic year 1957-1958. In the academic year 2016-2017 the University of Macedonia completed 60 years of operation as an Institution of Higher Education in Greece.
Today, more than 12.000 students study at the University of Macedonia in economic, administration, social and political related fields. Our primary consideration is the maintenance of high standards in terms of the University’s operation. The high level of graduates and professors and their participation in the shaping of new knowledge with publications of international standing, the innovative teaching methods, the modern equipment and the qualified administrative staff constitute the factors which define the university’s quality. By developing new and updating the existing Undergraduate Study Programs, organizing high-standard Postgraduate Programs and giving emphasis on scientific research, the University of Macedonia aspires to become one of the leading Higher Education Institutions in its fields of specialization in the Balkan Peninsula and Europe. The University also aims at responding to the needs of society, working together with public organizations and private businesses, shaping partnerships with other Universities and Research Centers in ways that complement and enhance its activities. Through its diverse initiatives and events, the University also contributes to the cultural affairs of Thessaloniki and Macedonia by maintaining a continuous interaction with citizens.
University History & Milestones
1930 Evening Business School of Thessaloniki’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The evening Business School is founded by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Thessaloniki which can be considered the antecedent of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki.
1948 Founding of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki
The three-year Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki is founded in accordance with Emergency Law 800/1948 as a legal entity governed by private law under the authority of the Ministry of National Economy.
1954 Establishment of the first Council
The first Council of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki is established under the Ministerial Decree 70139/15-1-1954 of the minister Director- General of Northern Greece.
1956 Approval of Internal Rules of Procedure of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki
Approval of “Internal Rules of Procedure of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki”. The internal rules specify in detail all administrative and education matters for the organization of the School.
1957 Inauguration and first operation of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki
The operation of the School starts with the admission of the first students.
1958 Upgrading of the Graduate School of Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki
The school is renamed as “School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki”, attendance is for four years, “the degree is equivalent to those provided by all four-year attendance Schools of Higher Education”, operation is under the auspices of the Ministry of Industry.
1962 New Rules of Procedure of the School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki
The School is governed by a Council appointed by the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs. Thus, the School operates under the auspices of the Ministry of Education. Specializations are introduced for the first time in the school’s curriculum (1. Management and Administration 2. Economics).
1966 Disclosure and renaming of the School (School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki)
The school is renamed as “School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki” and it operates as a legal entity governed by private law. Until the issuance of the Royal Decrees provided for by the relevant Decree-Law, the School is temporarily governed by a five-member Senate.
1973 First PhD Awards
The first PhDs are awarded.
1974 University’s Administration Bodies
Shortly before the collapse of the dictatorship, the administrative bodies are established within the School. The school’s administration is now carried out by the Rector and the Senate.
The School is divided into two departments: the Department of Economics and the Department of Business Administration.
1990 University of Macedonia Economics & Social Sciences
The School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki is renamed to “University of Macedonia Economics and Social Sciences” and three new departments are founded: Department of International and European Economic Studies, Department of Accounting and Finance, Department of Applied Informatics.
1993 Founding of the Department of Educational & Social Policy
The first Department of Educational & Social Policy is founded. The Department receives its first students in September 1997.
1996 Founding of 2 new departments
Two new departments are founded: the Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies, and the Department of Music Science and Art. Those new departments received their first students in September 1998.
2004 Founding of decentralized departments (Edessa and Naousa campuses)
Two more departments are founded: The Department of Marketing and Operation Management based in the city of Edessa and the Department of Technology Management based in the city of Naousa.
2013 “Athena” project- Founding of Schools
With the “Athena” reform plan the designation “Economics & Social Studies” is removed from the University’s official title, the decentralized departments (in Naousa and Edessa) are merged with the departments based in Thessaloniki and for the first time Schools are founded. Today, the University of Macedonia has four Schools which consist of a total of eight Departments based in Thessaloniki (School of Economic and Regional Studies, School of Business Administration, School of Information Sciences and School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts).
School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki 30 years celebration (8-12-1987)
Celebration for the 50th anniversary of the founding of the University in the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Karolos Papoulias (27-10-2007)
Issuance of postage stamp for the 50-year operation of the University of Macedonia
Anniversary concert for the 60-year operation of the University and the 20-year operation of the Department of Music Science and Art (31-1-2018)
Closing of the celebration for the 60th anniversary of the founding of the University (26-11-2018)
The powers of the Council were provided by Law 4009/2011 and amongst others are as follows: a) to organize the Rector’s nomination procedure by selecting 3 candidates from those applying for the Rector’s position elected by the University’s professors and lecturers in a direct, universal and secret suffrage after an international invitation; b) to approve and update the Rules of Procedure; c) to set up the Quality Assurance Unit; d) to select the University’s Secretary upon the Rector’s recommendation; e) to approve the budget; f) to define the University’s development strategy. The function of the University Council was abolished by Law 4485/2017.
Georgios Konstantinidis, Professor, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Andreas Georgiou, Professor of the Department of Business Administration of the University of Macedonia
Internal Council Members
Theofanis Karagiorgos, Professor of the Department of Business Administration of the University of Macedonia
Eleni Katsouli - Katou, Professor of the Department of Applied Informatics of the University of Macedonia
Christos Konstantatos, Professor of the Department of Economics of the University of Macedonia
Konstantinos Margaritis, Professor of the Department of Applied Informatics of the University of Macedonia
Ioannis Papanastasiou, Professor of the Department of Accounting and Finance of the University of Macedonia
Dimitrios Patras, Professor of the Department of Music Science and Art of the University of Macedonia
Fotios Siokis, Associate Professor of the Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies of the University of Macedonia
External Council Members
Eleni Katsarou, Professor of the of Curriculum and Instruction, School of Education, University of Illinois, Chicago, United States of America
Kyriakos Loufakis, Dr. in Chemistry, President and CEO of “Loufakis Chemicals Industrial Commercial Ltd”
Stylianos Perrakis, Professor of Finance, The John Molson School of Business, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
Ioannis Rentzeperis, Dr. in Civil Engineering (Public Works Contractor)
Nikolaos Sahinidis, Professor of the Department of Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America